Reporting a Car Accident to your Insurance Company

While some accidents are serious and life-changing in nature, there are many other collisions that are more minor and many drivers are unsure of whether they should report the accident to their insurance company.

Personal injury lawyer Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. and his Tarpon Springs legal team routinely field questions about when to report a car accident to your insurance company, so let’s explore when you can benefit from reporting the collision to your insurer.


When Should You Report a Car Accident to Your Insurance Company?

Generally speaking, a large portion of car crashes should be reported to the driver’s insurance company, so it’s actually easier to discuss the cases where it makes sense not to file an insurance claim.

One situation where it may be best to avoid filing an insurance claim would be a fairly minor accident involving no injuries and fairly minor damage. Most drivers are aware of their insurance deductible, so if the damage to your car (or both vehicles if you assume full fault for the crash) is less than your deductible, then it’s generally best to handle the repairs on your own, without filing an insurance claim.

Some drivers may even forego filing an insurance claim in the case of a collision involving damage that’s a bit higher than their insurance deductible. This is due to the fact that the claim may result in a significant jump in their monthly premiums or even a cancellation of their policy. So for this reason, it may make more sense to pay out of pocket rather than filing a claim.

You may also need to consider whether you have accident forgiveness. Many insurance companies offer “accident forgiveness,” whereby the insurer does not raise your insurance premiums following your first accident. In this case, you may not see an increase in your insurance premiums, so for this driver, any accident with damages exceeding the deductible should be reported to the insurance company.

Any time injuries are involved in a collision; it’s typically best to report the accident to your insurance company. This is due to the costly nature of medical bills and the fact that many injuries require long-term treatment. Insurance can also cover related losses, such as a portion of lost wages due to your injury or the cost of hiring help because you cannot physically care for yourself or your home, for instance.

You should also file an insurance claim if the accident is serious in nature and/or involves extensive property damage — damage that would cost more to cover out-of-pocket than you would spend in deductibles and increased insurance premiums.

tarpon springs car accident lawyer


Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer After Your Tarpon Springs Car Accident

Lawyers with experience in personal injury law, like Attorney Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A., can serve as a valuable ally following a collision. Your lawyer can offer lots of practical advice following a crash, in addition to helping you secure compensation for damages like medical bills, lost wages and other expenses stemming from your auto accident.

You do have a limited timeframe to file a claim so contact Tarpon Springs car accident lawyer Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. today for a free case consultation session. Call 727-781-3433.