Legal Services – for Workers That Have Experienced
Employee Discrimination in Palm Harbor

Palm Harbor Employment Attorney - Protecting the Rights of Workers in Pinellas County

  • When unfair practices arise in the workplace, you need the help of an award-winning employment law firm.
  • With our team of top employment discrimination attorneys, we vow to provide the best representation in Pinellas County.
  • Employment discrimination is a very serious manner and requires an honest and aggressive lawyer who will stand up for your rights.
  • With several reviews highlighting our tenacity, we are one of the most dedicated law firms in Palm Harbor.

Finding yourself the victim of employment discrimination can be an extremely distressing and stressful experience, as nobody should feel as though they’re the victim of unfair practices in the workplace. In fact, many victims feel that they have no choice but to suffer abuse and discrimination because they are not in a financial position to leave and find another job. This can result in long-term abuse that only gets worse with time in many cases.


Fortunately, there are a range of state and federal laws in place to protect employees. If you have been the victim of employment discrimination, it’s important to reach out for help as soon as possible. A qualified Florida employment discrimination lawyer such as Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. can help fight for your rights, helping you put an end to the mistreatment, while securing compensation for unpaid wages, unpaid overtime and any other damages that you may have suffered.

If you believe that you’ve been the victim of wrongful termination, were denied FMLA leave, or were treated in another unfair, discriminatory manner by your employer, there is help. Contact the Palm Harbor law firm of Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. to arrange a confidential and free consultation. Call 727-781-3433.

Legal FAQ: What are the Florida Laws on Employment Discrimination?

Regarded as one of the most well-respected Palm Harbor law firms, the legal team at the law offices of Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. is here to help clients who have been the victim of employment discrimination, wage disputes, unpaid overtime, wrongful termination and a range of other unfair employment practices. Here is a look at some of the most common questions we address with clients.

Workplace Discrimination FAQ: Are there Florida Laws on Employment Discrimination?

Employers in the state of Florida are governed by The Florida Civil Human Rights Act, which makes it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against an individual on the basis of:

  • race;
  • skin color;
  • religion;
  • gender;
  • age;
  • marital status;
  • national origin; or
  • handicaps or limitations.

If you are denied a job, are terminated or suffer any sort of mistreatment on the basis of one of these qualities, you may have grounds for an employment discrimination case.

There are also federal laws that offer similar protections to workers.

Legal FAQ: How Do You File an Employment Discrimination Claim in Florida?

Each state has its own system for filing employment discrimination claims. In this state, the Florida Commission on Human Relations or FCHR handles this type of case.

Employment Discrimination


At a federal level, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or EEOC handles this type of claim. Notably, Florida state laws cover smaller companies for certain claims, whereas the EEOC generally only offers protections to employees of larger companies with more than 15 or 20 employees, depending upon the nature of the discrimination. There are many complexities surrounding this type of case so it’s important to consult an attorney to help guide you through the process.

Generally, the FCHR and EEOC work in a collaborative manner to handle these cases. Generally, an employee only needs to file with one agency and your complaint can be cross-filed with the other agency, although there are some cases where it may be prudent to file with both the EEOC and the FCHR. Your worker discrimination lawyer can evaluate your case and help you to decide how best to proceed.

Jeffrey Hensley and his employees were always very helpful with any questions I had. Mr. Hensley was awesome at trial and was very helpful with helping me understand what was going on. – Dana Couch

Timeframes & Limitations: How Long Do I Have to File an Employment Discrimination Claim?

As with virtually all legal claims, there is a timeframe for filing a claim. In the case of filing a workplace discrimination claim with the Florida Commission on Human Relations, you have 365 days or one year from the date when the incident occurred.

If you choose to file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, you have a total of 300 days from the date of the discrimination incident to file a claim.

As a general rule, it is usually best to take action as soon as possible to maximize your chances of seeing a favorable case resolution.

What Happens if I File a Workplace Discrimination Claim with the EEOC or FCHR?

Once you submit your claim in writing, the other party named in the claim will be notified of the allegations and they will typically be provided with an opportunity to issue a written response.

Mediation may be recommended, whereas in other cases, the matter may be forwarded to an investigator for a more intensive probe into the incident.

If an investigation occurs, the agency will examine evidence, speak with witnesses and look into all aspects of your claim.

If the agency discovers that there is sufficient grounds to believe discrimination occurred, they will attempt to arrive at a voluntary settlement with the employer. If a settlement cannot be reached, the matter is referred to the agency’s legal division which will determine if they will pursue the matter by filing a lawsuit on your behalf.

If it is ultimately found that there is not sufficient proof of employment discrimination or if the legal division decides against pursuing a lawsuit, you will be provided with a document known as a “notice of right to sue,” which clears the way for you to pursue civil action with your attorney.

Legal FAQ: Do I Need an Employment Discrimination Lawyer?

While technically, an employment discrimination victim can file a complaint with the EEOC or FCHR independently, without the help of a lawyer, an experienced discrimination lawyer can go a long way toward helping you maximize your chances of seeing a favorable case resolution.

Your attorney can guide you through the process of completing the necessary paperwork and writing your statement in a manner that is both clear and compelling. An employment attorney can also help guide you through the process of negotiating a settlement or filing a lawsuit if you choose to go this route.

If you or a loved one have been the victim of employment discrimination, contact the Palm Harbor law firm of Jeffrey W. Hensley, P.A. to schedule a fully confidential and free consultation session to discuss your case. Call 727-781-3433.